Come Kale Away Soup
This soup has lots of protein from the quinoa, chia and the chickpeas. The kale is a nutrient-packed powerhouse of a green that offers you anti-oxidants, vitamin A, and C, and provides plenty of fiber. Not only a low-fat and low-calorie vegetable, kale is recognized as one of the best to eat to help defend against cancer. If you want to speed up the preparation, use a food processor slicing blades to slice up the carrots, celery and potato – so easy!
Kale Soup Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 2-6 inch sprigs fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-6 inch sprig fresh thyme (½ teaspoon dried)
- 2 large onions, sliced (2 cups)
- 1 large carrot, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, sliced (⅓ cup)
- 1 large potato, sliced (1 cup)
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2-14oz cans chickpeas (2 ½ cups)
- 1 bunch kale (thick center ribs removed), coarsely chopped (at least 8 cups)
- ¼ cup uncooked unpolished quinoa
- 2 tablespoons white whole seed chia
- rock salt to taste
- In a large cook pot, add oil and put on medium heat.
- Add garlic, bay leaves, rosemary, and thyme and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add onion and stir until softened but not brown (about 4 minutes). Then turn up heat to medium high and add carrot and celery. Cook for about 2 minutes and stir.
- Add potato and broth, turn heat to medium/high and bring to a boil; then turn to low heat and add chickpeas, kale, quinoa and chia. Cover and cook for 20–25 minutes, until all vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste with salt. Remove bay leaves, and thyme sprigs.
- Serve hot or cold. Freezes easily.
- Makes about 8 cups.
Chillin’ Out Vegan Kale Chips
Feel like adding even more kale superfood to your meal? Check out our Vegan Kale Chip Recipe with complete video instructions here!