As a vegetarian, mushrooms can be a great addition to soups and stews as it allows the same texture and hearty taste of meat.
Mushroom Soup Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 6 cups brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ cup shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon rock salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup unpolished quinoa
- ⅓ cup Delores hemp seeds
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional garnish)
Mushroom Soup Directions:
- Wash and finely chop parsley and set aside.
- In a large cook pot, heat olive oil on medium/high heat. Add in onion and celery and cover and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir turn heat to low and add in all mushrooms. Cover and let simmer 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add stock, vinegar, salt, pepper and quinoa. Turn heat to high, bring to a boil then turn to low and cover. Let cook for 20 minutes, do not stir.
- Place 1 cup of soup mixture along with Delores hemp seeds in a food processor or Vitamix and blend until pureed. Pour back into soup pot and stir.
- Pour into four soup bowls evenly and serve with a sprinkle of parsley on top of each bowl. Freezes well.
- Makes 8 cups.