Wanna Cry Sheppard’s Pie
There are a few things that I really miss being a veggie and one of them was my Mom’s Sheppard’s Pie. There is something so satisfying about the layered yums and the different flavors and textures of soft and creamy juxtaposed against the chewy and savory. It is a wonderful reminder of childhood comfort food memories – it’s so good it’ll bring tears to your eyes!
Sheppard’s Pie Recipe
Sheppard’s Pie – Base Layer (Step 1 of 3)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onions, diced
- ½ cups celery, diced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced(3-4 large cloves)
- 4 ½ cups Portobello Mushrooms, chopped (4-5 large ones)
- 3 cups Crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons whole chia seeds
- In a large cook pot, heat olive oil on medium/high heat. Once heated, add in onion and cook covered for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in garlic and celery, cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and add in mushrooms, veggie broth and vinegar and cook uncovered at a low boil 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Cook until mushrooms are tender and most of water is gone.
- While cooking down mushrooms, put quinoa and water in a pot, cover and turn on high. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.
- Set aside and keep cover on.
- Make Veggie Layer (below).
- Make Potato Layer (below)
- Once quinoa and mushroom mixture are cooked, add quinoa and chia to mushroom mix. Stir and let sit 5 minutes.
- In an olive oil greased 9×11 pan, pack in base layer and then top with veggie and then potato layer. Make sure each layer is relatively evenly spread out.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 375 F for 30 minutes until heated through and bubbling. You can also broil once baked for 5 minutes to brown potatoes if desired.
Sheppard’s Pie – Veggie Layer (Step 2 of 3)
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn and/or peas
- Boil ½ cup of water in a pot.
- Place veggies in, cover and turn down to medium heat.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until cooked but firm. Drain and set aside.
Sheppard’s Pie – Potato Layer (Step 3 of 3)
- 5 cups peeled Yukon gold potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes (3-4 large potatoes)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon rock salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup non-dairy milk (unsweetened and not flavored) – or more if required
- Boil potatoes in a pot of water until fork can easily go through pieces. Drain and set aside.
- Add in olive oil and gently smash potatoes.
- Place all other ingredients in a food processer and blend until creamy.
- Add to potatoes and mash gently until creamy with no lumps. If more non-dairy milk is required add and mash until creamy. Make sure not to over mash as the potato starch gets too sticky if overworked.
All done! Enjoy!