Over the ‘Shroom Lasagna
Dairy-free creamy pasta that is easy to prepare and nutrition packed. This mushroom lasagna is so rich tasting that you won’t believe it is entirely plant-based and dairy-free. It is the perfect comfort food for a single-person over a few nights, or a hosting a large group.
Diced brown mushrooms, Béchamel tarragon sauce, spinach and lasagna noodles make a hearty vegan lasagna. The flavors in the lasagna get more complex as it sits and sets over night. This dairy-free meatless lasagna will delight vegan or non-vegans alike!
Health Benefits of Mushrooms (Webmd)
Mushrooms are a low-calorie food that packs a nutritional punch. Loaded with many health-boosting vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, they’ve long been recognized as an important part of any diet.
Vegan Lasagna Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sweet onion, diced
5 cups brown mushrooms, diced (or 1-454g pre-sliced package)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups baby spinach (one 200gr package)
- 3 tablespoons white whole seed chia
- "Béchamel tarragon sauce recipe" (below)
- 1 package gluten free lasagna noodles (need 12 noodles total)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup Daiya vegan mozzarella (optional)
Vegan Lasagna Directions:
- In a large fry pan, sauté onions and olive oil on a medium/high heat for 6-8 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Make "Béchamel Sauce" (below) while waiting for onions to cook and set aside.
- In onion mix, stir in balsamic vinegar and mushrooms and cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, add spinach to onion/mushroom mix, cover and turn heat to medium/low. Cook for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally until mushrooms are tender and fully cooked.
- While mushrooms are cooking, in a separate large pot, add in 8 cups water and bring to a boil then turn to low heat.
- Once mushrooms have cooked, stir in chia, turn off heat and remove from stove. Let sit for 10 minutes and then stir.
- Cook pasta noodles according to package directions and drain once al dente.
- In a 9x11 pan, grease bottom and sides with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add a thin layer of the béchamel sauce on bottom of pan. Place one layer of noodles on bottom so that noodles touch at edges but do not overlap. (For the lasagna, there should be four layers total, so when spooning visually separate the sauce and mushroom mix into 4 equal amounts.) Spoon a thin layer of the béchamel sauce and then top with a layer of mushroom spinach mix. Repeat until done.
- Sprinkle Daiya cheez on top (optional) and carefully cover with foil so it is not touching the lasagna.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 350F on the middle rack for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes, then cut. Garnish with parsley flakes.
Tarragon Béchamel Sauce Ingredients:
- ½ cup water
- 1½ cups Delores hemp seeds
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ tablespoon dried tarragon
- ½ teaspoon rock salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
Tarragon Béchamel Sauce Directions:
In a food processor, blend all ingredients together until creamy consistency. Add a tablespoon more water, one by one, if too thick.