Hemp Seeds for Flexibility & Strength
Hemp as a Superfood
Hemp seeds are a phenomenal superfood with a full spectrum of benefits. Their ability to combat inflammation makes them a essential means of dealing with muscle and joint pain, flexibility and strength. Muscle and joint pain can be debilitating. Flexibility and strength are affected in the day to day and if left untreated, mobility can be compromised and chronic pain experienced. Every aspect of one’s daily life is affected by the health of their muscles and joints and to struggle with basic movements leaves sufferers feeling helpless and frustrated.
Hemp seeds date back thousands of years. They have been traditionally used, not only for food but fuel and medicine. When used topically they are an effective treatment for skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis – both of which are the result of inflammation. Ingesting hemp seeds is a great way to deal with a whole range of inflammatory issues in one’s body. Over 10,000 years ago hemp was cultivated in ancient China and what is now known as Tibet. It was initially grown for use as a fiber and it was another 4000 years before it was used for dietary consumption. It was then used for medicinal purposes – either ground into a powder or boiled for oil extraction. It wasn’t until the 1600s that hemp was grown in the New World.
Hemp’s Natural Nutrients
Hemp seeds are derived from the cannabis sativa plant but are not a psychotropic. These small brown seeds are full of Omega-3 and Omega 6. Their antioxidant content reduces inflammation and makes them a dietary necessity for anyone suffering from joint pain. Hemp seeds have been shown to relieve arthritic pain and decrease inflammation between joints. One of the leading causes of joint and muscle inflammation is a lack of magnesium. It is an essential dietary mineral that is responsible for over 300 metabolic reactions necessary for our health and muscle/joint strength. Hemp seeds are rich in magnesium and research shows that magnesium reduces chronic inflammation, helps stabilize blood pressure and builds bones.
Hemp seeds also contain cannabinoids. These natural cannabinoids are found in all plants and fruits and they act as an anti-inflammatory and have been shown to have anti-carcinogenic and antibiotic (vi) applications. Hemp is a whole body solution to pain – it can relieve both joint/muscle and nerve inflammation.
One tablespoon of hemp seeds provides calcium, iron and 180 mg of magnesium. Magnesium along with resistance exercise can build body weight while strengthening the muscles. Contrary to popular belief, hemp protein is higher in rich amino acid structures than red meat. Hemp also contains plant proteins which are low in fat. Plant protein contains fewer calories than animal-based protein therefore allowing us to eat more without gaining fat. If your goal is to increase muscle and strength then protein must be consumed and hemp is a incredible and healthful source.
Take a look at your daily nutrient intake and if magnesium is lacking, try adding hemp seeds to your smoothies, salads, yogurt, baking – the applications are almost endless. You will not only feel stronger but joint and muscle pain will lessen. And a perfect compliment to hemp seeds is Joint Ease. This amazing supplement and powerful superfood combined with a healthy diet and daily exercise will bring relief to anyone suffering joint and muscle issues and the freedom of pain free living along with it.
Recipe: Bean Dream Gnocchi w. Hemp Seeds
Gnocchi is a personal favorite so here’s a healthful gnocchi (dumpling) recipe to play with. Some people dream of genies, but I have gnocchi ones! Dream on!
MAKES 6 CUPS
· 2-19 oz. canned white beans, drained and rinsed
· 2 teaspoons white ground pepper
· ¼ cup ground chia
· ½ cup gluten free oat flour
· 4 tablespoons olive oil
· 1½ teaspoons garlic, minced
· 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
· ¼ cup water
· 6 cups chard leaves, veins removed and chopped
· 1-15-oz can diced tomatoes
· ¼ teaspoon of each of these dried herbs: basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary
· ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
· ¼ cup hemp seeds
1. In a medium sized mixing bowl, use a hand wand and puree the beans until smooth (can use a potato ricer as well).
2. Stir in white pepper and ground chia.
3. Sprinkle oat flour onto clean counter and knead flour into bean dough, keeping counter dusted throughout process.
4. Divide dough into 18 pieces and roll into a 6 inch snake and slice into 1 inch sections.
5. Lay on an oiled baking sheet and bake in 350 F oven for 10 minutes. Turn over and bake 5 more minutes.
6. Place on serving plates.
7. In a frying pan, add olive oil and onion and cook, stirring, over medium heat, for 2 minutes.
8. Stir in garlic and water and cover and cook until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes.
9. Add chard and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring, until it begins to wilt.
10. Stir in tomatoes, seasonings and hemp seeds and bring to simmer.
11. Pour sauce over gnocchi and serve.
Also try our, JointZen™ for maximizing your flexibility and strength!