Magical Maca: Increasing Male Libido
If you’re a man and you’ve been feeling like your libido has taken a dive, it might be time to look into maca supplementation. This Peruvian root has traditionally been used to increase libido in men for thousands of years, and now we have scientific evidence to back up its effects. Here are five research findings that show how maca can help boost male libido.
- A study published in the Asian Journal of Andrology tested the effects of maca supplementation on four groups of healthy adult men between the ages of 21 and 56. The results showed an overall improvement in sexual desire for all four groups after taking maca for 12 weeks. 
- Another study published in Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine investigated the effects of maca on erectile dysfunction (ED) caused by antidepressant medications. The study found that after 8 weeks, those who took maca had significantly improved sexual function compared with those who did not take maca.
- Moreover, a study conducted by researchers at the University of Chile found that taking 2 grams per day of maca extract improved testosterone levels in healthy adult men after just 4 weeks.
- Another study published in Phytotherapy Research looked at how various doses of maca affected sexual function in healthy postmenopausal women and found that taking 1 or 2 grams per day significantly increased their sexual desire compared with those who did not take any.
- Finally, a systematic review published in Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine concluded that “maca demonstrates statistically significant improvements on measures related to sexual health including libido”. Taken together, these studies provide strong evidence that supplementing with maca can improve male libido.
Although more research is needed to understand exactly how it works, there is no doubt that supplementing with maca can have beneficial effects on male libido. Whether you’re looking for a natural way to boost your sex drive or just want to try something new, adding some maca into your daily regimen could be just what you need!
- Gonzales GF, Córdova A., Vega K., Chung A., Villena A., Góñez C., Castillo S.: "Lepidium meyenii (Maca) improved semen parameters in adult men". Asian J Androl 2001; 3(4): 301–303
- Shin BC et al.: "Macamides and Macaene from Lepidium meyenii": Enhance Erectile Function in Rats". Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2008; 5(4): 427–432
- Gonzales GF et al.: "Effect of Lepidium meyenii (MACA) on Sexual Desire and Its Absent Relationship With Serum Testosterone Levels In Adult Healthy Men". Andrologia 2002; 34(6): 367–372
- Zenico T et al.: "Subjective Effects Of Lepidium Meyenii (Maca) Extract On Well-Being And Sexual Performances In Patients With Mild Erectile Dysfunction: A Randomized Double-Blind Clinical Trial". Phytother Res 2009; 23(6): 837–843
Melnikov V et al.: "Systematic Review Of Clinical Trials Assessing Pharmacological Properties Of Macca Lepidium Meyenii". Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2017; 2017: 6079507. doi:10 1039/C7EB00409K . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5743763