Natural Eggshell Membrane (NEM®) is a US produced and branded form of eggshell membrane – the clear, film-like layer found on the inside of chicken eggshells. Eggshell membrane has quickly grown in popularity as a supplement thanks to containing four compounds beneficial to joint health:
- Collagen, the most abundant connective tissue protein in the body
- Glucosamine sulfate, a compound present in the fluid surrounding the joints
- Chondroitin, a component of joint cartilage
- Hyaluronic acid, which is necessary for the proper cushioning of synovial joint
Clinical trials of eggshell membrane supplementation report improvements in joint pain and stiffness.
- NEM® (500 mg) appears to improve joint pain and stiffness in knee osteoarthritis. This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study examined the effects of NEM® on knee osteoarthritis. A total of 67 people were given placebo or NEM capsules (500 mg) daily for 8 weeks. The NEM® group experienced improvements in joint pain and stiffness as early as 10 days into the treatment. The researchers concluded that “Supplementation with NEM®, 500 mg taken once daily, significantly reduced both joint pain and stiffness compared to placebo.”
- NEM® (500 mg) appears to reduce pain stemming from connective tissue and joint disorders. In order to determine the effectiveness of NEM® in the treatment of inflexibility and pain stemming from connective tissue and joint disorders, two clinical trials were conducted. Both trials (11 subjects in the first and 28 in the second) used a dosage of 500 mg NEM® daily for 4 weeks. NEM® produced significant reductions in pain in both trials. The researchers concluded that NEM® “is a possible new effective and safe therapeutic option for the treatment of pain and inflexibility associated with joint and connective tissue (JCT) disorders.”
- NEM® (500 mg) appears to provide osteoarthritis pain relief. This clinical trial examined the effects of NEM® supplementation on joint pain. For eight weeks, 44 subjects experiencing osteoarthritis in the hip and/or knee took 500 mg of NEM® daily. At the 30 and 60 day mark, pain was measured using a questionnaire. The results revealed that pain was reduced at both of these time periods. The researchers concluded that NEM® “is a safe and effective therapeutic option for the treatment of pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee and/or hip.”
These studies provide compelling evidence for using natural eggshell membrane supplements to reduce joint pain caused by conditions such as arthritis or other forms of inflammation or injury. While more research is needed before making definitive conclusions about how beneficial this supplement can be for treating joint pain, these findings strongly suggest it could be an effective alternative treatment option worth exploring further with your doctor's guidance. With its plethora of benefits and low risk profile, natural eggshell membrane could be just what you need to get back on track!
- Ruff KJ et al. Eggshell membrane in the treatment of pain and stiffness from osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study. Clin Rheumatol. 2009 Aug;28(8):907-14
- Ruff KJ et al. Eggshell membrane: A possible new natural therapeutic for joint and connective tissue disorders. Results from two open-label human clinical studies. Clinical Interventions in Aging. 2009; 4: 235–240
- Danesch et al. NEM® Brand Eggshell Membrane Effective in the Treatment of Pain Associated with Knee and Hip Osteoarthritis: Results from a Six Center, Open Label German Clinical Study. Journal of Arthritis. 2014;3:3
- Tags: joint pain relief